END OF THE CENTURY [blu-ray]
Sale Price: $19.99 Price: $
A film by Lucio Castro
2019 / Argentina / 84 min
Spanish DTS-HD 2.0 / NR
In his alluring debut feature, Lucio Castro offers both a sun-soaked European travelogue and an epic, decades-spanning romance. When Ocho (Juan Barberini), a 30-something Argentine poet on vacation in Barcelona, spots Javi (Ramón Pujol), a Spaniard from Berlin, from the balcony of his Airbnb, the attraction is subtle but persistent. After a missed connection on the beach, a third chance encounter escalates to a seemingly random hookup. But are these two merely beautiful strangers in a foreign city or are they part of each other’s histories—and maybe even their destinies?
Castro deliberately parses out mystery after mystery, leading the audience on a journey of discovery as the two leading men discover themselves and each other. With sumptuous lensing of a Barcelona summertime and tangible chemistry between the actors, END OF THE CENTURY is a love story that echoes across time.
- Audio Commentary with director Lucio Castro and composer Robert Lombardo
- Two short films by Lucio Castro
- Q&A with Cast and Crew from the New Directors/New Films premiere at Film at Lincoln Center
- Theatrical Trailer
- Booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Koresky
"THE BEST GAY FILM OF THE YEAR."
– Jude Dry, IndieWire
"Poetic. Ambitious. Ambiguous... A promising first feature."
– Glenn Kenny, The New York Times
"A gorgeous examination of what 21st century relationships can look like."
– Manuel Betancourt, Remezcla
"A sublimely haunting experience... Lucio Castro's debut feels like a gay spin on Richard Linklater’s ‘Before’ trilogy, all distilled into a single film."
– Carlos Aguilar, The Wrap
"An absolutely hypnotic romance... Pure magic."
– Gary Kramer, San Francisco Bay Times
"A hell of a debut... a profoundly moving, intensely quiet romance drama."
– Joshua Brunsting, Criterion Cast